How to Roast Fresh Pumpkin Seeds
Here is an easy recipe for roasting fresh pumpkin seeds.
What you will need
- 1 1/2 cups raw whole pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- When you carve your pumpkins scoop the seeds into a colander and the guts onto newspaper or place in another bowl. Inevitably some of the guts will be mixed in with the seeds
- You can rinse the seeds by run water over them it’s separated out pretty easily or you can leave them and simply toss them in to a bowl for mixing.
- Toss seeds in a bowl with the melted butter and salt
- The amount of salt you use, it up to your preference
- Spray the pan *optional depending on your pan
- Spread the seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown; stir occasionally.
If you’ve never roasted pumpkin seeds before here are my tips.
- lightly drizzle olive oil over the pumpkin seeds before placing them in to the oven
- Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier
- After you drain the rinsed pumpkin seeds, pour them onto a large, dry cookie sheet and let them sit for 24 hours or so to dry out. Now you can pick out the remaining pieces of pumpkin stuff that didn’t get pulled out earlier and they will roast better if they are not wet when they go in the oven. My family prefers them seasoned with garlic salt in place of regular salt but you can use whatever suits your taste. So good!
- I let them roast for 20 minutes, then shake them up, roast the pumpkin seeds another 20 mins, shake them and then maybe another 8 -10 mins, if i wanted them a tad darker.
After the first 20 mins
After the second 20 mins
Another 5-10 mins for a tad more color
The pumpkin seeds are then ready to eat
I hope you enjoy your roasted pumpkin seeds!